The reason we are celebrating World Environment Day 2022 has some history behind it. The United Nations launched World Environment Day in 1972 as a result of debates about the implementation of human relationships as well as the ecosystem at the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment (5–16 June 1972). The first World Environment Day (WED) was commemorated two years later, in 1974, with the theme “Only One Earth.” Despite the fact that WED celebrations have been held annually since 1974, the concept of rotating the center of these events by selecting various host countries originated in 1987.
On this day, governments, NGOs, and citizens work to raise awareness about the importance of environmental conservation and the negative effects of human activity on the environment.
When is world environment day 2022
Like every year World Environment Day 2022 will be celebrated on 5th June. But the host country changes every year. This year World Environment Day will be celebrated in Sweden.
In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Stockholm Conference, the Geneva Environmental Network will host an event commemorating the landmark declaration affirming the fundamental right to a decent, productive, and supportive future. The honor comes at a time when our world is in the midst of a triple environmental crisis. Climate change, pollution of the air, land, and water, and the accompanying loss of biodiversity, all have a detrimental effect just on the timely and appropriate exercise of all human rights, putting the Sustainability Objectives in jeopardy (SDGs). Register today to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to commemorate such occasions, which will take place on June 30th at 16.00 CEST, whether in person or online.
UN World Environment Day. Also called. Eco Day, Environment Day, WED (world environment day), and International Environment Day.
The fact that, as I previously stated, the inaugural World Environment Day was held in 1974 in Spokane, Washington, with the subject “Only One Earth,” and that the topic for World Environment Day 2022 will also be “Only One Earth,” which will be held in Sweden on June 5th.
Now the question is what is behind the theme of World Environment Day 2022 and it is repeated?
The slogan for the 1972 Stockholm Conference was “Only One Earth,” and this concept still remains true 50 years later:
This planet is our only home.
With nature in a state of emergency, the #OnlyOneEarth initiative for World Environment Day 2022 encourages you to honor the earth by taking collective environmental responsibility.
What’s the connection between Stockholm +50 and world environment day 2022?
On the 2nd and 3rd of June, the Government of Sweden decided to celebrate World Environment Day 2022 with the help of the Government of Kenya, which will host Stockholm+50, 50 years after the 1972 Stockholm Conference. The 50th anniversary of this landmark conference and its consequence articles, most especially the Stockholm Proclamation, will be commemorated during this global gathering. Stockholm+50 will help to speed up progress to a much more sustainable future, along with a recovery period from the COVID-19 pandemic.
This same conference will represent the immediate need to have decisions toward a healthy and active lifestyle and economic success for everyone, as well as accomplishing a sustainable and inclusive recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and speeding up the execution of the environmental aspect of Resilient Change in the areas of the Couple of years of Operation, in three key conversations. The gathering will however underline the principles and accomplishments of UNEP’s 50th-anniversary celebration (UNEP@50), which also will take place in Kenya, Nairobi in March 2022.
We can’t really say anything about the logo because any image defining and symbolizing nature, health, and safety in our world, fostering a healthy ecosystem, green earth, and mother nature might be the World Environment Day 2022 logo. Who’s to say you can’t utilize your creative and design skills to express your appreciation for the environment and nature?
The goal of World Environment Day 2022 is to raise awareness and inform people that this planet is our only home. There are numerous methods to commemorate it. You can also have your shirts and caps embroidered or digitalized using vector art or other means to represent yourself as one of those who wants the world to remain green and healthy and to warn others to be cautious as well.
Earth is precious, so people live there too. This Erath Day digital embroidery design of Digit-It while our individual consumption decisions certainly have an impact, it is a coordinated action that will lead to the dramatic climatic change we require in order to progress to a more ecological and just world where everyone can thrive.
A Healthy and ecologically balanced environment is a human right in and of itself, but it also comes with a responsibility to safeguard it. This mother Earth Day digital embroidery of Digit-It says that everybody must make an effort to live in an atmosphere that is conducive to their health and well-being.
As a citizen of the world, we should pledge to fulfill our responsibilities to Mother Nature in order to protect our living planet from degeneration and to pass on a clean and green globe to future generations for the sake of our planet’s sustainability. Our individual efforts may appear insignificant, but if thousands of young people band together to safeguard the environment, our efforts will one day amount to a significant step in protecting our motherland Earth from destruction.
Let’s dig into the reason why we celebrate World Environment Day (WED):
Environmental challenges such as deforestation, rising global warming, food waste and losses, pollution, and so on must be addressed in this world environment day 2022. Several campaigns are organized around the globe with a specific concept and message in order to increase efficacy.
This day is commemorated for achieving carbon neutrality, reducing carbon emissions, focusing on forest ecosystems, planting in arid regions, power generation, energy production, encouraging ocean life and forests, and constructing new sewer systems, among other things.
According to a study undertaken by the Ellen McArthur Foundation in 2015, the world has produced roughly 6.3 billion tonnes of plastic waste, with approximately 90% of it not decomposing for at least five hundred years. As per researchers, micro-plastic or microscopic particles have been discovered in soil, filtered water, tap water, alcohol, as well as the air we inhale.
World Environment Day 2022 has a number of goals like previous world environment day celebrations.
– World Environment Day is observed to raise awareness about environmental concerns amongst some of the general public.
– Urge ordinary people from many different societies and groups to take part in this event thus becoming willing members in the promotion of green safety precautions.
– Motivate individuals to keep one‘s immediate surroundings nice and secure in order to experience a more secure, greener, and wealthier tomorrow.
Have you ever considered what the main issue is behind this rack; a less stable and uncertain environment?
Plastic has always been the main issue of uncertainty and world environment day 2022 is also to educate us about it.
- Plastic is harmful to the marine and poses a health risk to humans.
- Plastics are used by a big portion of the population on a daily basis. Do you know that roughly a third of it is improperly disposed of, clogging sewers and choking the environment?
- Plastics can endure over thousands of years throughout the atmosphere eventually entirely decomposing.
- Plastics are non-renewable because their production and disposal endanger people and the planet to a variety of pollutants, such as toxins.
- Plastics account for 10% of all garbage produced, with half of it being throwaway or solitary.
- We utilize 50% of our plastics in the trash or solitary packaging.
- Even animals and humans are poisoned by plastics.
The global campaign #OnlyOneEarth for World Environment Day 2022 pushes for policy and decision reforms that enable healthier, greener, and self-sufficiency in sync with nature. This will emphasize the importance of living sustainably and in peace with nature, as well as our options for transitioning to green and sustainable living including policy and personal decisions. Its emblem of the Stockholm Declaration Convention was “Only One Earth.” The motto is as relevant today as it was 50 years ago: this earth is our only home, and mankind must protect its assets.
For the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the worldwide environmental community, the year 2022 marks a watershed moment. It is the 50th celebration of the foundation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) as a result of the Stockholm Conference. It also falls on the same day as the high-level Stockholm+50 international summit. These iconic events provide a platform for the global order to strengthen partnerships and demonstrate leadership in the transition to a more stable society.
Every year, a different country commemorates World Environment Day, with formal events taking place in that country. Sweden will be the host country of world environment day in 2022 this year. Sweden and Kenya, with support from UNEP and partners, are hosting a high-level international meeting in Stockholm on the 2nd and 3rd of June 2022 titled “Stockholm+50: a healthy planet for the prosperity of all – our responsibility, our opportunity” to commemorate the 1972 UN Conference on Human Environment.
“We are proud to host World Environment Day 2022. Sweden invites the countries of the world to participate in the celebrations and to organize activities and events. We want to highlight some of the most urgent environmental issues, as well as a number of Swedish initiatives and our role in international environmental action”
Per Bolund, Swedish Minister for Environment and Climate | 23 November 2021 | Source
Following is the list of World Environment day 2022, theme and host countries celebrated every year.
|1974||Only one Earth during Expo ’74||Spokane, United States|
|1975||Human Settlements||Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|1976||Water: Vital Resource for Life||Ontario, Canada|
|1977||Ozone Layer Environmental Concern; Lands Loss and Soil Degradation||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1978||Development Without Destruction||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1979||Only One Future for Our Children – Development Without Destruction||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1980||A New Challenge for the New Decade: Development Without Destruction||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1981||Ground Water; Toxic Chemicals in Human Food Chains||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1982||Ten Years After Stockholm (Renewal of Environmental Concerns)||Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|1983||Managing and Disposing of Hazardous Waste: Acid Rain and Energy||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1985||Youth: Population and the Environment||Islamabad, Pakistan|
|1986||A Tree for Peace||Ontario, Canada|
|1987||Environment and Shelter: More Than A Roof||Nairobi, Kenya|
|1988||When People Put the Environment First, Development Will Last||Bangkok, Thailand|
|1989||Global Warming; Global Warning||Brussels, Belgium|
|1990||Children and the Environment||Mexico City, Mexico|
|1991||Climate Change. Need for Global Partnership||Stockholm, Sweden|
|1992||Only One Earth, Care and Share||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|1993||Poverty and the Environment – Breaking the Vicious Circle||Beijing, People’s Republic of China|
|1994||One Earth One Family||London, United Kingdom|
|1995||We the Peoples: United for the Global Environment||Pretoria, South Africa|
|1996||Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home||Istanbul, Turkey|
|1997||For Life on Earth||Seoul, Republic of Korea|
|1998||For Life on Earth – Save Our Seas||Moscow, Russian Federation|
|1999||Our Earth – Our Future – Just Save It!||Tokyo, Japan|
|2000||The Environment Millennium – Time to Act||Adelaide, Australia|
|2001||Connect with the World Wide Web of Life||Torino, Italy and Havana, Cuba|
|2002||Give Earth a Chance||Shenzhen, People’s Republic of China|
|2003||Water – Two Billion People are Dying for It!||Beirut, Lebanon|
|2004||Wanted! Seas and Oceans – Dead or Alive?||Barcelona, Spain|
|2005||Green Cities – Plan for the Planet!||San Francisco, United States|
|2006||Deserts and Desertification – Don’t Desert Drylands!||Algiers, Algeria|
|2007||Melting Ice – a Hot Topic?||London, England|
|2008||Kick The Habit – Towards A Low Carbon Economy||Wellington, New Zealand|
|2009||Your Planet Needs You – Unite to Combat Climate Change||Mexico City, Mexico|
|2010||Many Species. One Planet. One Future||Rangpur, Bangladesh|
|2011||Forests: Nature at your Service||Delhi, India|
|2012||Green Economy: Does it include you?||Brasilia, Brazil|
|2013||Think.Eat.Save. Reduce Your Foodprint||Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia|
|2014||Raise your voice, not the sea level||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|2015||Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care.||Rome, Italy|
|2016||Zero Tolerance for the Illegal Wildlife trade||Luanda, Angola|
|2017||Connecting People to Nature – in the city and on the land, from the poles to the equator||Ottawa, Canada|
|2018||Beat Plastic Pollution||New Delhi, India|
|2019||Beat Air Pollution||China|
|2020||Time for Nature||Colombia|
|2022||Only One Earth||Sweden|
World Environment Day 2022 activities
You’re joining a society of over 1 billion active users that participate in World Environment Day every year by commemorating it.
The goal of World Environment Day is to raise awareness of the importance of environmental protection and action.
- Make a pledge and a plan to take action
Making a strategy and writing down a commitment are two steps that boost the likelihood of someone following through. This is an easy task to complete with pupils of any age if you want the world environment day 2022 lessons to stick. This is a fantastic way to combine a writing prompt with an art activity.
- Integrate art projects
Art projects are a wonderful way to incorporate a hands-on activity into an Earth Day lesson. Even if the issues you’re studying are taking place far away from home, making art can help children feel connected to environmental issues. It’s also a fantastic method to assist kids in imagining the world in which they desire to live.
- Make signs for school and at home
Sometimes all we need is a gentle nudge to get us to change our ways. Encourage children to consider what they can do to improve the environment at school and at home, as well as how they may urge others to change their practices.
- Make a video or presentation urging others to take action
Students can have a greater impact if they can persuade others to do their bit in environmental protection. Creating a video or presentation also aids their internalization of the information — they must grasp it before they can communicate it to others. Presentations can take place in the classroom or even in front of the entire school. They may be able to present their findings and lessons at a local conference in the future.
- Plant a tree
By World Environment day 2021 Network hopes to have planted 7.8 billion trees, or one tree for every person on the planet. You’re taking a tangible action with your pupils and contributing to a larger aim by planting trees. Before you begin, make sure to read over these tree-planting tips.
- Engage students in a pollution experiment
Pollution education is an important aspect of World Environment Day because it teaches kids about the implications of not protecting the environment. Pollution prevention is often easier than pollution remediation. In the classroom, students may see and feel the impacts of pollution on a small size.
- Picking up trash in the neighborhood.
Get some fresh air and engage in a hands-on eco-friendly activity that will make a genuine difference! After arming yourself and your children with collecting bags (one for general garbage and one for recyclables), head to your neighborhood park or green space and begin picking up litter. You might wish to borrow or buy some grabbing sticks for safety reasons, and make sure everyone is wearing protective gloves. Also, make sure your children are aware of the dangers of picking up a shattered glass or other sharp objects.
- Organize a Toy Exchange.
This is a subtle yet powerful technique to teach your children about recycling, resource pooling, and sharing. Encourage your children to go through their toys and discard any that they no longer use or have outgrown. Invite other families to do the same, then host a swapping party at your house. Your children will have new toys to play with, as well as have recycled the old ones!
- Appreciate the beauty of nature.
The wonderful outdoors can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. We’ve got plenty of suggestions to get you started. Check out our kids’ activities pages for more information on everything from woodland activities to nature trails, establishing a garden, and creating a bird feeder.
What are your plans for World Environment Day with your family?
Every year on June 5th, the world celebrates World Environment Day. On the occasion of one of the most significant days, let us look at some slogans that will raise awareness about the importance of the environment as a vital part of survival on planet Earth.
- A good planet is hard to find.
- Deserts and Desertification – Don’t Desert Drylands!
- Time for Nature.
- Only One Earth.
- If you can’t reuse it, refuse it.
- Join hands to save the environment.
- Keep calm & go green.
- Plant a tree today.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Save Earth to Save Life.
- Don’t let our future dry up.
- Global Warming is a Global Warming.
- Keep clean & go green.
- A Tree for peace.
- The environment is everything, don’t spoil it.
- Save the environment in the present for a better life in the future.
- Don’t destroy, save the environment
- Say no to pollution
- Stand up for the Earth.
- Wastewater today, live in the desert tomorrow.
- Raise your voice, not pollution.
- Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home.
- Save Earth to Save Life.
- Plant trees take a pledge.
- Trees are life, don’t cut them.
- Wasting time is useless. Cleaning the environment is the best.
- Plant for the Planet.
- Run towards saving the environment before we have to run toward the survival battle
- Say no to pollution & Yes to Recycle
- “The sun does not forget a village just because it is small.” —African Proverb
- “Look after the land and the land will look after you, destroy the land and it will destroy you.” —Aboriginal Proverb
- “You can never see a plant grow, but they do.” —Carol Plum-Ucci
- “The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful”. —E. E. Cummings
- “I don’t know whether nice people tend to grow roses or growing roses makes people nice.” —Roland A. Browne
- “And He knows what is in the land and sea. Not even a leaf falls without His knowledge, nor a grain in the darkness of the earth or anything—green or dry—but is ˹written˺ in a perfect Record.” —Quran 6:59
- “You don’t live on earth, you are passing through.” —Rumi
- “We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us.” —Albert Einstein
- “Look at a tree, a flower, a plant. Let your awareness rest upon it. How still they are, how deeply rooted in Being. Allow nature to teach you stillness.” —Eckhart Tolle
- “The miracle is not to fly in the air or to walk on water, but to walk on the earth.” —Chinese proverb
- “For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.” —Martin Luther King Jr.
- “I firmly believe nature brings solace in all troubles.” —Anne Frank
- “No one comes from the earth like grass. We come like trees. We all have roots.” —Maya Angelou
- “There is no medicine you can take that has such a direct influence on your health as a walk in a beautiful forest.” —Dr. Qing Li
- “Nature is an infinite sphere of which the center is everywhere and the circumference nowhere.” —Blaise Pascal
- “First thing in the morning you look after yourself, you brush your teeth and wash your face, don’t you? Well, the second thing you must do is to look after the planet.” —Antoine De Saint-Exupery
- “If you can’t be in awe of Nature, there’s something wrong with you.” —Alex Trebek
- “Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.” —Michel de Montaigne
- Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.” -Mahatma Gandhi
The cornerstone for preserving our planet, communities, and economy is environmental protection is the message of world environment day 2022. Our ecosystems are supported and housed by our surroundings, which allows them to flourish and thrive. If we do not protect our environment, the life of humans, animals, plants, and others will be jeopardized.